I started working on my Senior Film back when I went to school in the Hong Kong campus. I developed the idea and it changed frequently with the help of the teacher and other students. When I was clear on the story I started developing the characters with help of a great Illustrator and the feedback of other students.
The first step was to come up with a simple story to tell. As soon as I had the story I started drawing a few early concepts to start shaping the mood of the film. I was constantly looking for references in every step of the way.
After working on my story for a while I was ready to start approaching it in a more visual way so I started creating storyboards for the way I would tell the story in 3D. The storyboarding process is very important because it is the base on which you start building all the elements that make up the film, so I went to
When the storyboard was finalized and some keyframes where already tested in Maya, it came time to start translating it into a 3D animatic, where at the same time I started running some lighting and look tests to start figuring out challenges I might find later on in the project. Here are those tests and the 3D animatic.
The pipeline for the production of the film has been very irregular for my film. Although I developed the rough look and concept of the film, I had some collaboration improving the designs for my characters. These are the later updated designs of my main character, first roughly designed by me, and later updated by my concept designer.
Enhancing the new concept with realistic textures and extra detail on the face model.
Shadows is a student film creating over the course of 10 weeks with 2 of my fellow classmates. Trying to create a complete film in 10 weeks was a great challenged and it helped me to understand the pipeline you need to follow to do so. I learned the importance of every step of the pipeline, as well as the importance of good communication and collaboration with your team.
After modeling the main character I started modeling numerous props for the film as well as the whole room where the film takes place. I laid out the Uvs and texture them for the scene. These are some examples.
I developed the 3D look from a few concept sketches and tried to match the feeling with the lighting in Vray, it was a long process to achieve the final look of the Film.